I have received a few questions about using the Pure Storage PowerShell Toolkit with Windows Server 2008 R2 since by default it only comes with Windows PowerShell 2.0. The simple answer is yes, with a few installation updates. Here are the steps that need to followed to get the toolkit running on Windows Server 2008 R2.
- Use an existing (or setup a new) installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 (SP1/SP2). This can be a virtual or physical instance. Be sure you are logged in as Administrator in order to install the software in Step 2 – 4.
- Download/install .NET Framework 4.0, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851. This is required for Windows PowerShell 3.0 (Windows Management Framework 3.0).
- Download/install Windows Management Framework 3.0, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34595.
- Download/install Pure Storage Toolkit 18.104.22.1680
- After all of the installations (and reboots) open up a Windows session with Run as Administrator, or you can open up Windows ISE as Administrator.
- In the Windows PowerShell session enter the following commands.
Note: Be sure to change the –FlashArray parameter with your appropriate IP address or DNS name.
$T = Get-PfaApiToken -FlashArray 10.21.8.82 -Username pureuser -Password pureuser
$S = Connect-PfaController -FlashArray 10.21.8.82 -API_Token $T.api_token
Get-PfaVolumes -FlashArray 10.21.8.82 -Session $S | Format-Table -AutoSize
Example of the toolkit working on Windows Server 2008 R2.