This post is coauthored by Roger Boss.
Pure//Accelerate™ Digital started off with inspiring keynotes from Pure leadership and industry experts, including Ron Thompson, chief data officer at NASA.
The first week of our multi-week online event was packed with the latest and greatest on Kubernetes data services and cloud storage trends. We also heard insightful success stories to help you find more ways to create breakthrough success in your own organization.
Next, we’re diving deeper into data protection. We’ll explore ways to overcome the challenges of legacy solutions and discover modern data protection solutions that prevent costly disruptions and downtime. But before we look ahead, here’s a quick recap of Cloud Week.
Cloud Week in Review
Not surprisingly, containers and Kubernetes were front and center. Containers have officially gone mainstream with more and more businesses leveraging them in production. Murli Thirumale, vice president/general manager of cloud native at Pure Storage®, met with executives from Royal Bank of Canada, Cox Communications, and Smart Digital Concepts to discuss their journeys to modern application architectures across a range of use cases.
This insightful conversation was packed with best practices and offered a look into the challenges you might encounter as you chart your course to building and running Kubernetes-native applications. It also included best practices you can leverage to overcome obstacles. For instance, Royal Bank of Canada faced challenges meeting strict availability requirements using Kubernetes alone. With tools like Portworx® PX-DR, Royal Bank of Canada achieved zero RPO and an RTO of less than two minutes.
With the enterprise focus on Kubernetes, data protection for Kubernetes-native applications has become a critical consideration. Traditional data-protection solutions aren’t well optimized for container environments. Portworx by Pure Storage is designed to address the attributes of container-native environments and deliver a Kubernetes data protection solution that is:
- Container granular
- Kubernetes namespace-aware
- Able to provide application-consistent backup
- Optimized for multicloud environments
Pure Cloud Block Store™ continues to evolve as cloud storage changes and proliferates. Pure Cloud Block Store enables you to take advantage of improvements in cloud storage without changing how you deploy your applications. The Pure Cloud Block Store architectures session takes you through its unique design and Pure’s architecture choices for our software on AWS and Azure clouds. Our goal is to deliver a data platform that’s evergreen and makes the best back-end choices for you so you no longer need to choose between optimizing for performance or durability when renting storage in a public cloud.
Delivering the cloud experience everywhere your data lives is a priority for us. One of the biggest advantages of the cloud operational model is flexibility and as-a-service consumption. Pure as-a-Service™ and the Pure1® digital marketplace help bring this vision to life by bridging the Modern Data Experience™ on premises and offering a unified hybrid-cloud subscription and management. The Pure Coffee Break session provided technical and financial insight into changing storage acquisition models and how you can reduce risk while simplifying budgeting.
Missed a session? See the full list of Cloud Week sessions and watch them on demand.
Focus on Data Protection
There’s a lot to look forward to next week as we focus on data protection, from ransomware and replication to security and SafeMode. Sessions will help you deploy a strong data protection strategy and gain a better understanding of security threats to your organization.
Here are some of the sessions you won’t want to miss:
- Why Restore Is the Next Backup: Pure CTO Andy Stone moderates a live panel discussion with Christophe Bertrand (ESG), Justin Brasfield (Netspend), and Thomas Vecchio (Mount Sinai Hospital Medical Center). They’ll discuss real-world restore requirements. (May 20 at 11am PT)
- Data Protection Made Simple with Pure Storage Purity//FA: ActiveDR™ and ActiveCluster™ take center stage in a session with Pure’s Lisa Walker and Don Kirouac. They’ll discuss how you can tailor your business continuity and disaster recovery profiles to match contingency plans and operational goals in this live Food 4 Thought session. (May 20 at 12pm PT)
- Ransomware Jail. Is There Any Way Out?: Why are people still paying ransomware demands? Are your backups safe? What are some of the new threats to your business? Pure Principal Systems Engineer Andrew Miller talks about ransomware attacks and how you can protect your environment. (On demand)
- Protecting Stateful Kubernetes Applications with FlashBlade® and PX-Backup: Protecting Kubernetes objects requires planning to ensure all application data is protected. Pure’s Ryan Wallner leads the discussion. (On demand)
And much, much more!
We’ll also have sessions hosted by some of our partners, including Veeam, Cohesity, and Rubrik. Join us and say goodbye to legacy solutions and discover modern data protection that prevents costly disruptions and downtime.
Looking forward to seeing you (virtually)!
Build Your Pure Knowledge at Pure//PEAK Week 2021. Join us June 22 and 24 to develop your individual capabilities and knowledge to support success with Pure products.